A Flicker In The Dark by Stacy Willingham

By Lean and Love �� - February 08, 2023

 


Tittle           A Flicker In The Dark

Author        Stacy Willingham

Pub Date    : January 11, 2022

Pages          357

My Rating   


The Summary

Six young girls vanished in Chloe Davis' tiny Louisiana village when she was twelve years old. By the end of the summer, Chloe and the rest of her family were left to deal with the truth and the fallout when her own father admitted to the crimes and was sentenced to life in prison.

Chloe is a psychotherapist in Baton Rouge and preparing for her wedding twenty years later. She has a tenuous hold of the happiness she has worked so hard to obtain, yet she occasionally feels just as powerless over her life as the problematic teenagers she treats. Therefore, that horrible summer suddenly comes flooding back as one local teen girl vanishes, followed by another. Is Chloe ready to reveal a killer for the second time in her life, or is she neurotic and seeing parallels from her past that aren't actually there?

My Review

This book is amazing! If I don't get sidetracked from my work, I can probably read it in a day. I was engaged and felt a feeling of plausibility since it had a decent blend of expected and unpredictable components. I felt pretty anxious the rest of the time I was reading this.

The entire story is portrayed through our MC Chloe's perspective, cutting between the present and the past to show glimpses of her happy family before they tragically disintegrated. She makes the perfect flawed, unreliable narrator who is unsure of whom to believe because she utilizes alcohol and prescription drugs to address her anxieties. Chloe Davis, a psychologist, is concealing a very sinister secret from both her patients and the bulk of the world.

I found each character to be quite intriguing. They were all incredibly fascinating, and they all had something to hide. Despite the fact that I felt some of them were brought in unexpected places or seemingly out of nowhere. I could still argue that they all had a purpose, whether it was to confuse us or to reveal more about Chloe's past, traits, and worries.

Although Chloe's emotions repeat themselves frequently and the tempo is a little off, overall the writing flows well, and the Louisiana setting of the story is evocative and well described. Even so, the tension and suspense are masterfully crafted, and even though I had my doubts about who the murderer was, it didn't stop me from enjoying the plot's many twists and turns.

It is clear that this type of psychological thriller focuses a great emphasis on the psychological. There are a few negatives, but nothing that will stop you from enjoying yourself. What a terrific debut!


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments