Before I Do by Sophie Cousens

By Lean and Love �� - January 14, 2023

 


Tittle           Before I Do

Author        Sophie Cousens

Pub Date    : October 11, 2022

Pages          344

My Rating   


The Summary

Head-in-the-stars Audrey is going to wed practical Josh. Josh is just what Audrey needs; despite being total opposites, they have a happy, solid relationship. But romance ought to be unpredictable and exciting, and as the big day nears, Audrey has begun to doubt whether Josh is truly "The One."

As a result, Audrey feels conflicted when Josh's sister and Fred, her "What If? boyfriend," who she met six years ago and spent a fantastic day with, attend the rehearsal dinner. It couldn't be a coincidence that Fred shows up the night before her wedding, can it? And when everything that could possibly go wrong with the wedding does, Audrey is forced to wonder if fate is intervening to save her from committing a grave error. Or does fate simply have a very peculiar sense of humor?

My Review

I had expressed interest in this book before it was published, and when I eventually got the time to read it, the love triangle left me feeling utterly conflicted. In all honesty, I found the book to be a decent amount of fun, but there were a few things that I would find challenging to accept in real life.

The day before Audrey and Josh's wedding, her concerns start to develop when Fred, the man she had a brief but wonderful day with six years ago, shows up as a plus-one. Does she make efforts to alter the future? Who will she choose?

If you follow the tale, it becomes increasingly compelling and occasionally jumps, and it is well worth it. The moment Josh and Audrey were on the plane in an obviously absurd circumstance is one of the highlights. They are having the most entertaining chat.

The background of how Audrey and Josh met and fell in love was messy and insane, but also wonderfully beautiful and lovable. It made me adore them together. Audrey and Fred's story had a nice beginning, too, but I thought the ending was terribly confusing.

I didn't like how Audrey seemed to be using trauma as an excuse for her behavior. I did wish that the book had gone into more detail on Audrey's experience. There was a lot to be told about her past and her connection to her mother. She needed it so badly for growth, and I felt like everything was wrapped up way too hastily.

I also didn't like how Audrey's past made her suddenly question her decisions on the wedding day and feel a tiny bit like she was having an affair with Josh. Nobody wants their fiance to betray them by questioning their wedding just because they restarted their friendship with an ex-lover or someone they once clicked with.

Even still, there were times in the book when I found myself becoming irritated with her because I didn't agree with what she was doing. But as it came to a conclusion, I could better understand her. I still admire her growth and adventure.

Despite the fact that I found the plot of this book to be quite intriguing, I think it could have been done better. The strategy, in my opinion, is effective because, as the suspense in the chapters set in the present day increases, it leaves the reader wondering what will truly happen at the wedding.

Although I wouldn't say this is my favorite book by Cousens, I do admire how she always employs her unique writing style in all of her books. She has a great sense of humor in her novel, and I can't quit laughing at it. She also has fantastic secondary characters and world building. This book includes everything.

There are many enjoyable aspects to this book! I think a lot of people will enjoy the story. Simply said, it wasn't the best fit for me.


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments