I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

By Lean and Love �� - September 01, 2022

 


Tittle           I'm Glad My Mom Died

Author        Jennette McCurdy

Pub Date    : August 9, 2022

Pages          320

My Rating   ★★★★


The Summary

iCarly and Sam & Cat star Jennette McCurdy's painful and amusing memoir details her hardships as a former child actor, including eating disorders, addiction, and a difficult relationship with her domineering mother, as well as how she regained control of her life.

Jennette recalls all of this in I'm Glad My Mom Died in harrowing detail as she describes what transpires when the dream ultimately materializes. She became well-known after being cast in the iCarly TV show. While Jennette is plagued with anxiety, guilt, and self-loathing, which manifests as eating problems, addiction, and a string of disastrous relationships, Mom is overjoyed, emailing fan club moderators and getting to know the paparazzi by name ("Hi Gale!"). As soon as she joins Ariana Grande in the lead role of the iCarly spinoff Sam & Cat, her mother passes away from cancer, making these problems even worse. Finally, after learning about therapy and giving up acting, Jennette starts to rehabilitate and makes a life-changing decision.

My Review

I'm so happy Jennette has finally left her familiar existence behind.

It was incredibly tragic. It's crucial to discuss how kids are used as props in the entertainment industry. Even in this day and age, when more and more parents are pressuring their children to chase popularity, and we all know it will never end soon, it is heartbreaking to see a child superstar confess the abuse they faced in the profession. However, it is also necessary.

Though I thought Jennette did a great job of bringing up this topic, I thought the book itself was simple to read. In order to give the rest of us more assurance, there are some events that bounce around quite a bit, thus I wish I could see more from Jennette's perspective on her present.

In any event, I look forward to seeing her future projects and wish her the very best.


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments