Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennet

By Lean and Love �� - September 29, 2022

 


Tittle           Serious Moonlight

Author        Jenn Bennet

Pub Date    : April 16, 2019

Pages          432

My Rating   


The Summary

Birdie had only known the outside world through her favorite crime novels because she was isolated and home-schooled by her strict grandparents. But when she accepts a summer job working the night shift at a famed Seattle hotel, everything changes.

She meets the charming hotel driver Daniel Aoki there, and the two of them uncover a true mystery: a well known recluse who has never been seen in public is covertly seeing someone at the hotel.

Birdie must come out of her shell in order to figure out the writer's mysterious identity. As she does so, she realizes that the biggest mystery of all might be her developing feelings for Daniel.

My Review

It took me a while to decide to read this book, but when I did, I found it to be endearing.

Despite the fact that the book was a sweet and fluffy romance, I was taken aback by how complex the major characters were. They are a lot of fun. They are both very real and highly addictive.

Daniel is adorable, Birdie is funny, and their intricate backstories were fascinating to learn about. I couldn't help but enjoy all the characters, even the ones that are too quirky, like Birdie's godmother Mona, who almost always dresses up in outlandish clothes.

Its plot is really cute. The great setting descriptions in this book made me feel as though I was actually seated at The Moonlight Diner with them. The backdrop and ambiance for the story were meticulously created.

This book's diversity and the way it deals with themes relating to mental health and people with disabilities are both appealing to me and it was done perfectly. Furthermore, it is handled conventionally and is sex positive. And I like how Jenn talks about it in her works rather than treating it as something taboo.

It's a pity because this wasn't one of my favorites of hers. Even while each component was interesting and well-done in and of itself, I didn't enjoy the whole package.

Primarily because of the tempo. It occasionally grew a little too slow and repetitive. The mystery in the novel didn't quite live up to expectations. I didn't see the point in Birdie's urge to investigate the "issue." I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever and thought it to be terribly dull and useless.

In the end, I think it's a well-written contemporary romance with endearing characters and intriguing side storylines. I liked it even if it didn't exactly meet my criteria, and I would still recommend it. I suppose it only has to reach the right readers, but I wasn't the right reader for that.


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments