You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle

By Lean and Love �� - September 30, 2022

 


Tittle           You Deserve Each Other

Author        Sarah Hogle

Pub Date    : April 07, 2020

Pages          368

My Rating   


The Summary

Nicholas Rose, Naomi Westfield's ideal fiancé, opens doors for her, remembers her restaurant orders, and hails from the sort of respectable society family any bride would adore being a part of. Never do they argue. Three months out from their grandiose wedding, they are getting ready. And she has had enough of him completely and terribly.

Naomi wants to break off the engagement, but there is a catch: whoever does so will be responsible for paying the nonrefundable wedding costs. When Naomi learns that Nicholas has also been acting happy, the two of them engage in an all-out emotional struggle while pulling practical jokes and sabotaging one another.

But Naomi notices that her determination is eroding as the wedding countdown approaches, which may or may not happen. They're finally being themselves and having fun with the last person they expect: each other, because they no longer have anything to lose.

My Review

In all honesty, I didn't think this book was that horrible. In fact, I found it to be surprisingly humorous and quite good.

Reading a romance with characters who are already in a committed relationship but are battling to keep it going is always enlightening to me, and I enjoyed the premise of this one. Thankfully, the opening did a fantastic job of grabbing my attention and accurately presenting the plot.

The book first annoyed me a bit. Because both characters were trying so hard to undercut one another while acting like spoiled brats, obtuse kids, or mostly each other's throats! Sometimes, all I wanted to do was swoop into their world and give them a pep talk about what grownup behavior looks like.

The passion between these two felt mature as it grew, even at its most childish moments. I could feel the chemistry between the two of them. As we discovered more about both characters' backgrounds and got to know them on a deeper level, I could kind of understand why they behaved in their dysfunctional manner.

My issue with the plot's pacing and how it seems to drag on for too long, despite the fact that I appreciate the humor that develops amongst the people in the book, is that it feels too slow. If a reader is impatient, they can decide to stop reading the book, especially in the beginning.

The writing style isn't something I especially enjoy either, but that's a personal preference. The story is unrelated to it.

Overall, I still find this book to be compelling in every way. Because of how they built and defined their own family, their choice to recommit to their relationship, and everything else, their relationship improved even more than when they first started dating. They evolved into a team.


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments