How To Fail At Flirting by Denise Williams

By Lean and Love �� - August 21, 2022

 


Tittle           How To Fail at Flirting

Author        Denise Williams

Pub Date    : December 01, 2020

Pages          343

My Rating   ★★


The Summary

Professor Naya Turner is persuaded by her pals to take off her dowdy cardigan for a night out on the town when her department is threatened with closure by the university. She will put aside her hard career for one night and focus on a different kind of to-do list. She has a list of things she wants to cross off when she meets a charming stranger who is in town on business. Allow him to get her a drink. Check. Try a novel approach. Check. A hookup without conditions. Check…almost.

In addition to making her smile, Jake pushes Naya to regain the self-assurance that her abusive ex-boyfriend had destroyed. A more serious romantic connection is soon on her mind, but nothing is ever that simple. Her relationship with Jake may be difficult enough to ruin her career.

Naya has two possibilities. She may either flirt with the unknown and stay with the person who makes her feel like she is truly living again or she can safeguard her professional reputation and go back to her old life.

My Review

In all honesty, I'm a little underwhelmed by the book. I am undoubtedly in the minority, and perhaps my preference is part of the reason.

The title suggested by the summary turns out to have nothing to do with the plot. Yes, I am aware that it has elements that are domestically abusive, but.

I thought it was going to be about recovering from trauma, but I got the abusive character with words here converse frequently and "fail at flirting," which is not really failing. I was anticipating a lighter but still fluffy romcom.

I wouldn't say the book is bad. In fact, I think it's great that we were able to discuss such a weighty subject but I'm sure I would write a better review if the book's cover, title, and summary accurately reflected the story's themes.

Last but not least, this story has a powerful message and a fantastic plot. It's very unfortunate that the book's front cover is deceptive.


My ratings score:

★★★★★ Fantastic! Made me go through a lot of emotions & the entire book is incredibly beautifully done! 

★ Memorable! Despite its shortcomings, this book was incredible and taught us a lot. 

★ Good work! Nothing particularly remarkable, but still nice.

★ Meh... Mediocre with great room for improvement.

★ Extremely Poor.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments